Monday, December 31, 2007

Wind Power!
v
Recently, a company decided to put in a wind farm right at the end of our road. Needless to say, our flat landscape of fields and more fields is rapidly changing to look slightly more commercial.
v
Here is a few pictures of the first turbine to get its propellers installed.
v
v



There are giant cranes all over the place. I counted at least ten in operation the other day while driving past!



Scale size to show you the proportions of these things. Inside the little yellow circle at the base of the tower is a full size pickup truck.



One of the propellers on the ground.


The bottom section for the tower. (I think that there are three or four sections in each tower.)

An assembled prop on the ground in front of the one completed tower.





7 comments:

bapianist said...

Pretty neat! When my family was driving back down from Minnesota from a family wedding we saw a lot of those passing through IL and IN. I never realized how huge they were though.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Wow that's incredible...I never knew they were so large. It's something to think the wind would even be able to turn those!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never knew they were THAT BIG! the semi truck looks like a toy having that part on his flat bed....!

:)Steph

Krissy Cooper said...

Interesting.

The last picture you posted is very artistic-looking.

Andrew Sikma said...

Very neat post. I've seen sections of the towers on the road before but I always thought they were a type of silo. What an awesome photographic subject Jack! Hope to see you soon.

-Drew

spyder-slayer™ said...

WOW, I never knew...*echoes above comments*

Psalm 127:3-5