Monday, July 09, 2007

The crop sprayers are out and working!




Notice the electric wires to the left on the picture...the plane flew UNDER those to spray the corn! Talk about daring!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>the plane flew UNDER those to spray the corn!

No way!! That is crazy...lol.

Although actually, we recently had someone in a small plane around here coming way down to about that height in our neighberhood and then going straight back up so he wouldn't run into the trees and he didn't even have a good reason like spraying the corn to do it so...I guess some folks are just like that.

Unknown said...

That's like what the sprayers do at our house! The guys love watching him go under the telephone lines. We haven't seen him yet this year but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him soon....

Brian said...

Crop Dusters are pretty neat. I enjoy watching them zoom along just above the ground and then pull up at the last minute. It takes some experience to safely do that.

Hannah said...

I've never watched any plane fly that low - it's got to be incredible! Next time see if you can get a picture of him under the lines! :-) (just kidding)

Anonymous said...

Wow...this is amazing. I was looking on Wikipedia to see what pics they had of crop dusters since I thought that second one you took was so good it could possibly be chosen as one of their Featured Pics of the day and look what I found!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Crop_Duster.jpg#file

In the description it says, "Near Sheldon, Illinois, grower Joe Zumwalt applies a low-insecticide bait..."

So for all I know, that's the same cornfield and plane you were photographing. :)

Anonymous said...

Since that link is cutoff, you can just copy and paste this one and it should work just as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Crop_Duster.jpg

BTW, looking at your pic again, I can see it's definitely a more modern plane then the one on Wikipedia...but it could be the same guy flying it.

Anonymous said...

David,
Very interesting that Wikipedia posted that picture of Joe Zumwalt; Mr. Zumwalt died recently when he was helping a neighboring farmer put out a fire -- he was known in this area for helping people; he sprayed the crops in our area for many, many years.
That is so neat that his picture is on there. Thanks for sharing the info. with us. It might be his son who now flies the cropduster plane. That would be the one that Jack has on our blog currently as he just buzzed our property the other day and the children loved it! :-)
Mrs. McD.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. McDonnell,

Wow isn't that great God chose to honor his helpfullness in that way!! He probably never would have guessed that a photograph of him helping someone spray their crops would show up on an article about crop dusters on the most popular Online Encyclopedia (let alone have the article mention him by name which is very rare) but that's just how God does things. :)

Psalm 127:3-5