Jim
Thought I would share an occurrence of the day with our readers. Enjoy!
-
Lizzie, Emily and I worked at Princeton (the insurance office where Dad works) today. While there, we encountered a young man, Jim, of 21 years (just there for the day). He had sort of a lazy way about him. From what one could tell by his manner and conversation, quite honestly, he had nothing of value to show for his 21 years of life. He told me that he never finished high school and that he, "don’t have nothin', but a car"....
-
Later in the day, Elizabeth had the "privilege" of sitting across a desk from him. She was working on a computer, while he was stuffing envelopes across the way. He found out that she has 12 siblings and Liz received the usual, "woooah" reaction.
Jim: "You must have a really big house."
Lizzie: "Not really.... three bedrooms."
Jim: shocked expression
He proceeded to mention a television show and asked her if she had seen it.
"No...", she replied, "Actually, we don’t have a television."
He just about fell out of his chair.
moment of silence... and then....
"Do you have a...a... telephone?"
-
11 comments:
Lol...that's fantastic.
And dittos to the "no television" part. :)
Lol, that's hilarious!
Maybe don't be so quick to assume that he doesn't have anything of value to show for his life...surely there is something not readily apparent to most outsiders. He might have to wait a bit longer than you to demonstrate his value and worth.
Funny comment, though, regardless. :-)
-just stopping by
Hi Anonymous,
Please note that the post says, "From what one could tell by his manner and conversation..."
Clearly the point (or even belief) is not that he has no value or worth but rather that from the way he talks and acts, it wouldn't seem like he's used the talents God has given him very productively or wisely up to now.
To me, this was brought up soley to demonstrate the possible effects TV might have on someone (though I could be wrong). In any event, I'm sure Kaity does not believe he has no value or worth.
It just shows you what TV can do to a person when watched excessively. I heard somewhere that when you watch TV, your brain has the same activity level that it would in a coma! Scary huh?!
We have a TV, but we don't have cable, or DirecTV. Just a DVD player. I find the TV so unproductive!
Funny, funny, funny! My uncle tells a story similar to that...several years ago a salesman came to their door and wanted to sell them a tv. He replied that he didn't have one and didn't want one....the man replied, "What are you? Amish or something!"
Funny and yet, I must say, sad.
That's so funny!
Interesting story, though I find it sad. Probably because I've encountered too many people with that kind of attitude. Of course, if he's not a Christian that would explain a large part of the problem!
I think maybe this could have been worded better...the point of the story was that it seemed 'funny' to our girls that just because we don't have a television, the young man thought that we might not have a telephone either.
Makes sense to see why he would think that, but to them, it seemed funny because we've only had a t.v. in our home for one month in the last 22 years. (when we lived in California, someone felt 'sorry' for us and got us one -- we didn't keep it long as we didn't feel 'deprived' not to own one!) :-)
I know Kaity didn't look at this young man as worthless -- we don't look at people that way.
It was kind of a "maybe you had to be there" type of story.
Sorry if this offended.
When we see someone like this, we really do think that what this person really needs is the LORD.
Notice she didn't use this young man's last name either. We would never want to embarrass a person.
Just thought I'd clarify this post.
If we're going to make comments that critique the original post let's be open about it. Let's not hide under the cloke of "anonymous".
Respectfully,
J. Brian Sikma, Jr.
Post a Comment