Where Am I?
You are floating in the air over 15 famous places in the USA and around the world! (Thanks to Google's free detailed world globe.)
But the question is, can you name them without help?
This will be easy for most of you, but I threw a few tough ones in there to make it interesting for you!















22 comments:
Alright let's see here...from top to bottom:
Statue of Liberty
Not sure...somewhere in NY City?
No clue.
Still no clue (I'm starting to feel like an idiot. lol)
Lincoln Memorial *whew*
Uh...the amphitheater? :D
Some NASA place?
No idea except that it might be a
government building.
A meteorite crater...
The Pentagon
It looks like the White House but then again...it doesn't quite look like the white house.
Empire State Building
Eifell Tower
The Bad Lands...(just a pure guess)
The Golden Bridge
Alright let me take a shot...
1. Statue of Liberty
2. Sears Roebuck Tower
3. The Kremlin
4. The White House
5. Lincoln Memorial
6. Uh... Supreme Court?
7. Kennedy Space Center
8. Ouch, I've seen this one before but don't recall the name... Washington Memorial?
9. I would have no idea
10. Pentagon
11. Capital Building
12. Dunno
13. Hm... Eiffel Tower? :P
14. Colorado River (just a wild guess)
15. Golden Gate Bridge
Lol, this is actually an interesting idea - it's a good way of testing your knowledge of significant landmarks.
-Jonathan
1. Liberty Island
2. Sears Tower
3. Taj Mahal
4. White House
5. Washington Monument
6. Jefferson Memorial
7. Space Center
8. Lincoln Memorial
9. Some volcano?
10. Pentagon
11. Capital Dome
12. Empire State Building
13. Eiffel Tower
14. Some dry place :)
15. Golden Gate Bridge
Pretty neat being able to see all those famous buildings from the air. I'm curious to find out what 9 and 14 are. Really gets you to thinking.
See if I can fill in one or two of the missing places . . .
9. Mount St. Helens
14. The Grand Canyon
3. (Clueless. Are you sure it's really famous?)
BTW, I hate to say this, but strictly speaking, posting these images online is a violation of Google's copyright notice. I only know because I looked into when I wanted to post some Google Earth images on my website. I don't know that anyone important will actually ask you to remove them, but I thought I'd alert you just in case.
Don't you hate it when people tell you things like that? I know I do.
Great job guys! You have a good start! I will post the official answers in a few days after other folks have had a chance to give a go at it.
Daniel,
Thank you for the heads up!
I will surely delete it if Google asks me to, but I would think they would like something like this for more positive publishing...I don't know! (Maybe I will delete this post after everybody has had their guess posted.)
Yeah I think Daniel is probably right about #4 being Mount St. Helens. However, I doubt 14 is the Grand Canyon - but I could be wrong.
If you all want to check out something really neat, go to google.com/mars :)
Whoops... yeah #3 is the Taj Mahal. It's amazing how different buildings can look from an ariel view.
Okay:
#1: Statue of Liberty
#2: Sears Tower
#3: Taj Mahal
#4: White House
#5: Washington Monument
#6: Jefferson Memorial
#7: Cape Canaveral
#8: Lincoln Memorial
#9: Mount Saint Helens
#10: Pentagon
#11: Capitol Building
#12: Empire State Building
#13: Eiffel Tower
#14: Great Wall of China
#15: Golden Gate Bridge
The Sikmas
P.S. Where is our house?
Here is the official list...I realized that though you guys got VERY CLOSE...none of you made a complete 100% list!
The most confusing one is probably the Grand Canyon....notice though, in the bottom right hand corner of the picture it shows the altitude that you are viewing it from....13.5 miles!! Pretty high there!
Anyway, here it is....
1.Statue Of Liberty
2.Sears Tower
3.Taj Mahal
4.White House
5.Washington Monument
6.Jefferson Memorial
7.NASA space shuttle launch pad
8.Lincoln Memorial
9.Mt. St. Helen
10.Pentagon
11.Capitol Building
12.Empire State Building
13.Eifel Tower
14.Grand Canyon
15.Golden State Bridge
Good job all of you that gave a shot at it! You have had your geography lesson for the day! :o)
Wow...I did terrible. lol.
I liked Abbie's guess of the Great Wall of China for number 14. Looking back at it, it really does look like that could be what it is. :)
"You have had your geography lesson for the day"
Lol... actually, if my mom saw my list, she'd say I NEED a geography lesson. :P
Interesting post guys. Fortunately, I got on after Jack had already posted the answers =)
I guessed right on some of them. When I first looked at them, I got airsick. =) I'd NEVER make it in a real plane!
Wouldn't the top one actually be Ellis Island with the Statue of Liberty on it? I was just curious because I just read a book about it... :-)
Oh, never mind. I see it now.
The Statue of Liberty is NOT on Ellis Island. Ellis Island is it's own little island that is now a museum. I'm the one that read the book, but I'm still 'lost'! :-)
Yeah Ellis Island is unrelated to the Statue of Liberty. For some reason though, I too thought that the SoL was on there...I wonder why. Anyway, here's the Wikipedia article about it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Island
Sorry for the double post (or in this case double comment) but I did some further Wikipediaing and found that the Statue of Liberty is actually on Liberty Island. So the correct answer would be Liberty Island. But I guess nobody said Paris for the Eifell tower so... :D
Sorry for the double post (or in this case double comment) but I did some further Wikipediaing and found that the Statue of Liberty is actually on Liberty Island. So the correct answer would be Liberty Island. But I guess nobody said Paris for the Eifell tower so... :D
Thanks, David!
I never thought to look on Wikipedia, which is probably one of my favorites to use for such 'items'. :-)
Now that you mention it, I think I remember that the SoL is on Liberty Island. I think the reason we associate Ellis Island and the SoL is because the immigrants in the 1920's-40's came to Ellis Island to be registered, but they always knew they were "here" when they saw the Statue. I don't know if that made any sense or not... :-)
Well, Jack should be happy. This made him 20 comments for his post! 8^]
Yeah I think your right. Like alot of books about immigrants will mention them seeing the Statue of Liberty and then landing on Ellis island.
It would be an interesting homeschool project to research how many people think SoL is on Ellis island and then find out why that is. :D
PS: I can't believe it but for some reason my "double post" comment came out twice in a row!! Sorry about that Jack. (although I'm sure you don't mind too much...lol)
That WOULD be quite interesting to research!
I wondered if you purposely posted that twice or what? It did look kind of funny!
Post a Comment