Saturday, December 02, 2006

Ice Skating!!

Eli, Luke and I woke up this morning to very cold tempuratures. But rather than be grumpy, we decided to scout around for a frozen "puddle" to skate on. We finally were rewarded when we found one that was just thick enough for us to skate on. (We haven't had one thick enough for the past three years!)

Although we had to dodge the corn stalk bumps, we actually got up to pretty fast speeds!!
Eli and Luke especially enjoyed it when I towed them on their bellies over the ice with a long rope!


Even though I like warm weather MUCH BETTER, I don't mind a few cold snaps like we had today for ice skating!! Now if northern Illinois only had a few hills, we could use some snow for sledding!!

Now...to copy my sister's tactics of getting multiple comments.... :o)
How many of you viewing this blog have gone skating before?
And how many of you enjoy it?

 Posted by Picasa

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha...very clever Jack. :)

I actually haven't been ice skating forever but when I was quite young the whole family went skating on a lake nearby us.

That's really great how you've got those great big puddles so it really doesn't matter if you fall through. We were going to go skating a few months back but when I almost cracked through the lake when my Dad and I were coming back from testing it out, that was the end of those plans.

Anonymous said...

*correction* Instead of a few months back it should have been a few years back.

Wesco said...

Here...

Wesco said...

...are...

Wesco said...

...some...

Wesco said...

...comments...

Wesco said...

...for...

Wesco said...

...you.

Wesco said...

I have been skating several times before and I hate it. The skates hurt my feet, it hurts when I fall, I get wet because I am always lying on the ice, and it is usually a very embarrassing experience over all! So there! I have skated in Indiana, Colorado, and Texas.

Anonymous said...

Jack,
We really enjoy your site. How about a picture of your house?
Uncle Dean and Aunt Arlene, Murphys, California

Unknown said...

I've been skating once and didn't enjoy myself very much because I kept falling down and my skates were too small... :) Some of us flood our barn yard and that becomes our skating rink! Quite fun! But I do remember one time when I was skating here at home and I was scared to do it and the boys were making fun of me so I decided to go ahead and skate....and I later regreted it! I slipped and fell and hit my head really hard on the picnic table (don't ask me why it was over in the barn yard!). I got a really BIG lump on my head!

Thankfully, I've never been teased again about it! :) AND..I have skated since then!

Anonymous said...

We have been ice skating many times!
We love it(minus the many falls!)
The Carns Family
(In case you're wondering,we are the Sikma family's cousins.)

Brian said...

I have only been ice skating once and that was on a family trip to a ice rink a few years ago. I will have to see if 1) I can possibly create a rink, or 2) convince the family to go ice skating again.

I am not the most coordinated person and I was surprised that I did okay at skating. I think that it is great excercise and and really quite exhilarating....until...you fall of course!

Anonymous said...

AH Skating, I have a pair of ice skates currently hanging on my closet door but that does not mean much. I have been skating but I can't say that I particuarly enjoy it. And it is so much easier to skate on an actual rink than on a lake or puddles!!!!!!!!!

PS I am from Fellowship Baptist in South Bend and I have really enjoyed reading you and Kaity's posts.

Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

I have never been ice skating, but I would LOVE to some day!!!
I have gone roller skating quite a bit in the past and its sooooooooo much fun!!! Unfortunately, I almost always rub blisters on my feet and once in a roller skating race, I cracked my wrist and had to get a cast. Too bad it happened BEFORE I fell in love with lime green because I ended up picking the color pink. *sigh* Oh, well.......there's always the next time.......wait a minute.........just WHAT am I thinking???? Why in the world would I want to crack my wrist again??????

Daniel Devine said...

I enjoy skating a lot, and it's a great way to exercise presuming you can keep on your feet. My dad grew up with 6 brothers and during winter they'd get their own hockey games going with neighborhood kids after school, rushing down to hit the ice before it got too dark. My dad has loved playing hockey ever since, but the danger of broken bones has become a restraint. We hit the ice every year, though, whether indoor or out. This year I need to buy some new skates. . .

Anonymous said...

Yeah even though I've only ice skated like once, in-line roller skating is another story. All of us children love roller skating on the driveway and have come up with quite elaborate competitions to go with it.

Also, with our driveway on such a slant (Jack you know what I'm talking about) we can really pick up some good speed on the way down. :)

That's interesting, cheaper-by-the-half-dozen, that you'd mention breaking your wrist skating since my younger sister did that too even though she skates less than all of us guys. In fact, she's actually broken four bones while the total of broken bones for all the boys total 2 (and both belong to me...lol).

Anonymous said...

AHH! We don't even have weather cold enough to freeze anything! You are lucky!

Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

d3,
2 other kids and I were racing towards a wall ( yes, a VERY smart thing to do ) and when I put my hands out to stop myself, I jammed my wrist so hard that it cracked. Yes, it HURT terribly, BUT......I won the race. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey cheaper-by-a-half-dozen,

Lol...yeah well at least you won after going to such expense.

My younger sister broke her wrist while skating down in the basement when she slipped and jammed it against the concrete wall.

It's really funny that that would be the only broken bone we'd have gotten from skating considering the spectacular falls we've had flying down the driveway at almost super-sonic speeds...

Jack McDonnell said...

David,
That is cool that you guys use that hill to your advantage!! I love roller blading as well, but I don't have any in-line skates at the present time :o(

Tim,
Thanks for your multiple "comments" unfortunately, that is not quite what I am looking for. :o) I think you made the record for most comments on one post though!! Congratulations!

Uncle Dean,
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoy it! Maybe we will get a pic of our house on here eventually, we'll see.

Abbie,
Sorry about the teasing, but that is what brothers do best!! hehe

Carns,
That is neat!! I LOVE skating, and I enjoy doing it with other people that are also good at the slippery sport!

Brian,
I have to agree on the falling not being so fun. That would be sweet if you could make your own rink in your yard!!

Christina,
Thanks for visiting our blog!! I also like a pro hockey rink to a "puddle" (Much faster!!)

Courtney,
Too bad about your wrist, but like David said....At least you won!!
Maybe you will get the chance to ice skate someday. If you do...you will have to tell Kaitlyn about it!!

Daniel,
That is great that your family does skating...way to go!!
P.S. Get Bauer skates if you can,...they are awesome!!

April,
We will pray for an ice age for you folks. :o)

Anonymous said...

Have I gone ice skating!!!!!!

I have been ice skating in...

America, Slovakia, Hungary, Ukraine, Russia,

Skated on...

rivers, hockey rinks, soccer stadium filled with watter, malls, and even on a ice hill.

I must say that I spent a cositerabule amount of my time on the ice innstead of on my skates. :-)But the result of my pains have been quite satisfying.

Good luck Jack whack attack!

Psalm 127:3-5