Monday, October 29, 2007

Gospel Chalk Art!
Last week, I had the privilege of attending a class on presenting the gospel message through the art of drawing with chalk. What a blessing to not only train my hands and mind, but also learn how to better minister to the many lost people in the world!
This is all 23 basic colors that we used during the class. For those of you who were there, you know why I posted this picture. After that first day, you never saw everything so nice and clean as in this picture!

The constant layer of chalk dust got thicker every day!

Bro. Matt Bowman was our instructor for the class. It was amazing how fast he could draw the most beautiful pictures!


Charles Wesco at work on a scene of the cross and the tomb.


Lawrence was next to me for the second part of the class.

Ben Balos was very talented with the chalk! He could draw people so realistic!

Mark Gillmore and his dad. I had the pleasure of staying in the same house as Mark and got to know him pretty well over the few days that we were together.



Sorry Stephen! I just had to post this picture! :o) Who would guess that this guy is only 15? He definitely had a knack for drawing! Unfortunately, I didn't get a good pic of any of his drawings.


Eric Barth and an awesome black light drawing he made up.


Mr. Mellas


Nathan Mellas

Charles and Stephanie Wesco generously invited the guys in the class to come over to their house one evening for games and fellowship. Below are a few pics of the time together.

Josh Bowman trying to figure out the nine-paper game. For those of you who know this mind game...it lasted for awhile!



Caleb Mellas winding back for a throw at the dart board.


And poor Eric! He got tricked into the "hand coordination" game that is really just a sneaky way of getting someone to write lines all over their own face!


When we started using the black light chalk, we first learned how to draw this 3D cross.


Everybody with white shirts on really lit up!



Stephen Wesco, the "pro" photographer, multi-tasking.




Believe it or not, we fit 37 easels down in the church basement! Notice the dust in the air in this picture. It went all over the place! The funny thing about it, was when you blew your nose...and the buggers were blue!


We enjoyed a good home-cooked meal every afternoon out of the dusty practice room!


Again, for those of you who were there, you will understand the humor in this picture of where we had to hop on one foot while trying to take shoes on and off! :o)


I enjoyed drawing this picture of the serpent that Moses raised up on the pole for the children of Israel.


Lawrence did a great job on this picture! Notice that you can't see hidden black light picture at all!


A depiction of the wise man and the foolish man and what they chose to use for foundations of their houses.


OK, driving home on I-65 at about 75 m.p.h. when all of a sudden the traffic got dense and STOPPED right on the highway! I found out later that it was because of an accident further up on the road.


Here is a medical helicopter that was landed right in the middle of the road! There were lots of ambulances, police and a few extra choppers in the air by the time I passed the scene of the accident. (And the traffic behind this copter, was at least three miles long! I hope nobody was in a rush, because nobody was going anywhere for awhile!)


And the one evening when chalk art class had finished for the day, God displayed his own handiwork in the sky! I think he was reminding us of who is the Master of all things, including art and true beauty!





14 comments:

Krissy Cooper said...

Wow! Looks like you had a very fun and profitable week!

Anonymous said...

Yeah that's a great picture you did of the serpent Moses raised up. Did you do that from scratch?

Anna Joy said...

That week was a lot of fun....but goodness, I hope I never have to look at myself with blue all over my face again! I think everyone who was there learned a lot!

BSBT said...

That's so cool, I read the "Gospel Chalk Art" and said hey is this...
it is!!!
I've known the Bowman's for along time, and I've been on your family blog every now and then, (off the Fairlamb's, and Reed's blogs) and thought you all had a great family, but it was real cool to see someone I knew.

Were did you go to the class at??

Was it at the IBLP Institute??

I guess that's all for now, thanks for the post.

God Bless

Unknown said...

Krissy,

It was very fun and also very profitable. I would do it again anytime! I would also reccomend it to anyone who was interested in it!

David,

Not from scratch, we learned how to do that one by watching our instructor. I might add that he was very talented too! He said he started off with no talent at all...so there is hope for me! Hallelujah! :o)

Anna,

Only certain *cough,cough* people had blue faces at the end of the day. I was fortunate enough to come away with at the most a little streak on my chin and I saw some that didn't get any at all, so it must just be a special skill that some of us have! I'm just teasing! :oP

P.S. Did you meet the "other" Anna Joy on Sunday? I can never tell who is commenting on the blog unless I click your user page up!

BSBT,

That is great that you know Bowmans...do you live near them?
The two that I met, (Matt and Josh)seemed to be really neat guys! I definitely enjoyed my time with them.
The class was not at IBLP HQ, but at a church in South Bend. (Fellowship Baptist Church, pastored by: Virgil Wesco)

Bethany said...

Wow Jack. That looks really neat! I have thought about taking a class like that myself. Did you know Mr. Mellas before you took the class? His daughter Katie was on my team when I was a team leader in a young ladies discipleship program called EXCEL.

Unknown said...

Bethany,

No, I didn't know Mr. Mellas or his two oldest sons before the class, but seeing as we stayed in the same house all week....we got to know each other pretty fast.

They seem like a really neat family! (Even though I have only met Mr., Caleb and Nathan.)

Maybe our family will be able to get together with them sometime...I don't think that they are too far away from us...just a few hours. :o)

BSBT said...

"That is great that you know Bowmans...do you live near them?"

-Yes they live about an hour away. Though we met the family when we went to pay for our schooling over ten years ago at HQ in IL, we had gone down thinking it was just for the day, but they had us stay and eat, and then we thought it was getting to late to get home,( we live about five hours away) so the Bowmans asked us to stay the night(they lived down there at the time.)
I think I was about 7 or so at the time,so I don't remember much of what happened at the time.
They have come up to our church a few times, we haven't seen them for a year or two, so it was neat to see them again in a place I wasn't looking for them.

Ok now that I have written a book... :] sorry.

God Bless

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is amazing. Looks like a lot of fun too.

Wesco said...

"And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!" -Romans 10:15

Anna Joy said...

Yes, I did meet her! Really, it's quite simple...my name is two words...Anna Joy... and on Blogger she has hers as one word..AnnaJoy. Plus I have a picture of a clarinet and she has a pic of their family! :-D

Anonymous said...

BTW, just out of curiosity, how does that Hand-Coordination trick work?

Anonymous said...

That looked like so much fun! Had you been persuing chalk drawing before this? Laura is the artsy one of us girls and she loved seeing this post.

Unknown said...

No I had not ever done anything like this before...I just wanted to give it a try!

I really enjoyed it and learned a lot!

Psalm 127:3-5