Saturday, March 20, 2010

It's our Blogiversary!

Okay then, tomorrow (Sunday) will be the fourth year mark since we created our family blog.  Why did we start celebrating the blogiversary this year instead of the first?  I have no clue!

Anyway, to celebrate our blog's fourth birthday and to thank all of our friends who read it, we decided to do something fun.

So what could we do to thank you all for your kind support and comments?  We decided to buy every one of you a Starbucks coffee!


Unfortunately, that plan fell through when we realized that our funds didn't match our generosity....soooooo, we decided to thank you all by giving the Starbucks treat to just one of our readers.  (Kind of twisted isn't it?) 

Here is how it works.

In order to have a chance at being that lucky duck person who receives the prize in honor of all our readers, you must do the following extremely difficult and time taking steps:

1. Leave a comment on this post with your name included.  (if we would know your last name by just the initial, you can feel free to just use your first name and initial for privacy sake)

2. Please do NOT post your email address, mailing address, social security number, blood type or previous jail sentences.  If  you win the prize we can contact you for that information via email.

3. You do not only get one entry per family, you get one entry per person, so if your mom is the only one who comments on this post, guess what?  She is the only one in your family eligible to win the card! So please, for the sake of your family winning the card, everyone leave a comment!  (Pets not allowed)

In aprox. two weeks, we will randomly select one of the commentors to receive a $15.00 Starbucks gift card!  $15.00 will purchase about 3 drinks at Starbucks, so you can bring along your parents for a night out, or your two best friends, or your two favorite siblings...or you could just order three drinks for yourself and drink them all in a row and get sick!  It's your choice!

Alrighty then, enough jabber...now leave a comment! 
(I would leave one myself, but that probably wouldn't be ethical. If I won though, it would be tasty!)

Seriously though, we appreciate all of our friends who encourage and support us.  We hope our blog has been a blessing to you over the past four years, and we hope that God has been honored by everything that we have done.

103 comments:

Myra said...

family blogging is wonderful! I did not know you have been doing this or I would have been here long ago reading what all of you have been up to. I will bookmark this and read everyday..."Uncle Tom" and I have missed all of you

Ruthann Marie said...

LOL! WHAT a great idea! I just met Jack a few weeks ago when we were all snowboarding in WI and I have never read your blog, but for Starbucks I will definitely leave a comment! Blessings to your family!

Ruthann Pleus

Anonymous said...

This is too much fun! I love visiting your blog even tho' we just met in January! And I love sharing it with others to show the Love of the Lord thru your family. And I love Starbucks Chai Latte (hint hint ;) It will be fun to read all the comments!! Teri A

Chrissy said...

Wow, four years-that's great!! We definitely love keeping up with your family blog!! Great idea Jack :)Chrissy W

Unknown said...

Thanks Chrissy, we love your blog as well! The idea actually was Emily's though...the Starbucks card was Lizzy's and $15.00 was mine. Yay for teamwork! :o)

Eli Delos said...

Well here is my comment!
I love Starbucks!

Eli

Unknown said...

Sorry Eli, the only people excluded from this contest are our immediate family and Osama Bin Laden. :o)

Maybe you and I can do Starbucks sometime together and commiserate on our not being able to enter this drawing.

Unknown said...

okay, I take that back about Osama Bin Laden....he can enter....think about it for a second. If he wins...will he send us his address? :oP

Autumn said...

Congrats on your blog anniversary! I check your blog pretty often. I love reading your updates!
Autumn C

Kaity Gellos said...

Fantastic idea, guys! No, I am not leaving this comment so I can get a Starbucks, because, even though I am married and officially a "Gellos" I am probably still considered "immediate family." :-)

I love our crazy family. We enjoy this connection to home, especially when we are on the road. Keep up the good work!

Kaity

Jonathan Daudelin said...

Lol... great blog idea and humorous way of presenting it (Jack, that was a genius idea about letting Osama Bin Laden qualify for the gift card). I don't want the Starbucks gift card since I've never had coffee and don't intend to try it (just in case I like it and then I'll always want more), but I seem to have a special talent for NOT winning raffles, so I don't think I need to worry. :)

-Jonathan

L said...

I've never had the heart to spend any money at Starbucks,so here is my comment. Please, have sympathy!

On a serious note, your blog is so much fun to read. You guys do a great job at keeping it fun and serious at the same time.

God Bless You All!

Lawrence Wesco

Hicks Family said...

Jack,

Well first Happy Blogiversary. Secondly, this is the best idea on the internet. I have to admit I am a Starbucks addict. However, I am simple and get the Bold, so I could get almost 7 trips for $15 (if I weren't sharing that is). Hope you get a bunch of comments, hope mine is the one ya pick.:)
Mr. Hicks

Ellie D said...

Up 'til now I've been a silent follower...I'm a little ashamed that it's taken Starbucks for me to "speak up!"
~ellie d

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Your blog has certainly been a blessing to our family. Mrs. T

Leslie said...

I'm a brand-new follower...found you because I'm friends with your Mom on facebook (I went to college with her). Great Blog!
Leslie

Anonymous said...

Jack,
Your curmudgeon Uncle Dean would seriously like to be considered for your prize. I sure do enjoy all your fine photos and your sense of humor too! I'm so glad for the internet connection, cause we live a long way from where you live. Love to all...Uncle Dean and Aunt Arlene....Murphys, CA

Hartley Family Blog said...

This is Osama Bin Laden. I'll give you my address if I can guarantee a Starbucks gift card... :D

Great idea you guys! Hope you're having tons fun with it. We absolutely love your blog!

Lauren

Thackers said...

hope I win
amanda Thacker

Thackers said...

Well here it is!!!!

~Lex Thacker

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am posting for Alex, he can't access blogs from college. He doesn't know I am doing this, but I know he would if he could :) He really enjoyed the cookies and the quick visit - thanks for thinking of him. Mom for Alex (and I promise I'd give him the card, truly, I would :D :D :D ) Teri A(gain)

Hartley Family Blog said...

Absolutely LOVE your blog.... and Starbucks too!!! :D

Flynn

Lydia said...

Happy Blogiversary! (Did I spell that right?)...Well, anyway I like coffee so I really wouldn't mind winning that gift card
~ Lydia ~

Lydia said...

F.Y.I Lydia (Carns)

David Daudelin said...

Hi Jack,

Congratulations on a sucessful fourth year!

The way you run it with mostly pictures and ocassional commentary is nice.

-David

Anonymous said...

Ingenious idea, and congratulations on your 4th year. Your blog is always fresh, entertaining, and Christ centered. Well done.

Lawrence definitely seems to have posted the most pitiful comment yet, no wonder he was checking my wallet this weekend! :)

Ben Walsh

Katie said...

You all do a great job with your blog, and keeping it updated!

Awesome idea. Can't wait to see who the winner is!

Victoria Baker said...

Hi,
I've been following your blog for about a year now. I enjoy seeing every new post and am also encouraged with your Godly example through this blog.
FYI... I LOVE coffee ;)
Victoria Baker

Lindsay Hicks said...

What a cool idea! I enjoy Starbucks! I'm not quite the addict my dad is though! :)

Of all the blogs I follow, yours is one of my favorites! You guys do a great job of keeping people's interest!

Hicks Family said...

What a great idea! How cleaver!

Happy Blogiversary! You guys do a great job with your blog posts! Hope you get tons of comments.

I'm not quite the addict my dh is, and I can prefer the foo foo drinks too. :)

Rhonda Hicks

Laine Hicks said...

Hi this is Laine. I like your blog header. It's really cool.

Hicks Family said...

Hi,

I love drink everyone else's starbucks drinks!

Louisa Hicks (2yo)

Levi Hicks said...

I'm not sure what this is about, but it sounds good. So there's my comment.

Leah Hicks said...

Me yike Weisa (Louisa), I yike sipping allbuddy else's. Only time I git one of my own is when I go on my dada dates once a year.

~Leah (4 yo)

Lincoln Hicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lincoln Hicks said...

Congratulations your blog has made it longer then most. The top 100 blogs last about 33.8 months. I would sign my name L Hicks but there are 10 people that could go by that name. Sot to be clear my name is...

Lincoln Hicks

Rebecca said...

I just recently found your blog and love reading about your family. Your blog is a lot of fun! I LOVE Starbucks! Happy blogiversary! :)
~Rebecca F.

Unknown said...

Thank you to all who have commented so far...it's fun to see who all is looking at the blog.

On a side note, to you non-coffee drinkers...Starbucks also sells, tea, fruit smoothies and "delicymoso" cinnamon rolls, muffins, pastries...etc.

Joel Wesco said...

hope I win
Joel Wesco

Anonymous said...

i LOVE STARBUCKS :):):):) dAvId gArCiA P.S. and your BLOG :):):):)

Unknown said...

No David...I am sorry to admit that I was lazy this time...I used a stock picture for this post!

Anonymous said...

O.K. mine is here !!!i love looking at your blog:):):):)

Anna Garcia

Liberty Hicks said...

Umm, Hi. This is Liberty I guess. Umm, I like your blog too.

Hope I win!

Logan Hicks said...

Here's mine


Logan.H

Stephanie Gilbert said...

This is rather ironic...I'm leaving a comment on your blog while sitting at your computer in your kitchen.

Melody said...

I would really like to get Mom and Dad one of those! They LOVE Starbucks!.

Melody said...

Plus I like it to. For the Strawberry ones that is!.

Mrs. Mark Arni said...

Oh, I would love the opportunity to win the gift card!!! Mocha frappucinos are my favorite at Starbucks. I treat myself to one once a month.

Thank you for a wonderful, God honoring blog!!!

Hugs,

Mrs. Arni

Thackers said...

Looking forward to seeing you guys on Friday.

Liss

Stepheny said...

This post was hilarious! But to pick just one... boy... there is like 42 comments excluding all of Jack's!

The McDonell Family blog has blessed me and my family more than I can tell you in these four years!!

Thanks for being faithful and posting!

Stepheny Weaver

Charles Wesco Family said...

Love all the comments the Hicks left!!! A chance at a Starbucks gift card...just another one of the benefits from having a large family!!! :) Anyway, I am not leaving a comment for the coffee, due to my chances being very low, but we do enjoy your blog! Keep up the good work!

Stephanie Wesco

Anonymous said...

What a way to get comments lol :):):) But some people will do anything for a starbucks giftcard (like me =) Its a great idea !!! & btw,your blog is Amazing !!!
~Cindy G.

Mrs. Weaver said...

Hi-I'm Stepheny's mom. She told me about your contest and since I see your blog often-through her, of course-I decided I should leave a comment. Wondered how you all did the template for your blog?? Want to start a family blog since our daughter has her own and knows how to do it. Enjoy your blog and Kaity's too! Take care and I hope I win (haha). Mrs. J. Weaver

Adrienne Weaver said...

I just started drinking coffee twice a week-mom said it was okay-Steph shows us your blog all the time. Have a great day and hope I win for my mom!!
Adrienne Weaver

Bethany Horsman said...

Hello McDonnell family :-) It has been so much fun "getting to know you" over the past few years. Justin, Emma and I leave for Texas this week. My how life changes! Hope you all have a blessed day!

Bethany (Reed) Horsman

Nathaniel said...

Ok, this is the most original creative comment earning post I have ever seen!!! Did you come up with this idea all by yourself?

-Nathaniel

Anonymous said...

Alright Jack- Here's the deal....... I leave a comment and you "randomly" pick it. And Matt A. can drive the three of us to Starbucks in the vehicle of your choice. ie. the Curzy, Max, The Coach, or my personal Fav. Mustang. If none of those are sufficient for you. I can always bring the Caddy- Just let me know what you think. We may even let you drive :) Reid

Unknown said...

Thank you for offering everyone else's vehicles for us Reid! :oP

Sorry, I can't pick you on purpose, but we should go out together sometime anyway. Come an hour early some Sunday evening and we can do Starbucks! At least I can...I can't answer for Matt.

See you Friday, Lord willing!

Burtt Family said...

That's a fun idea. :-) I'm glad we were able to meet through our blogs. I always enjoy your posts. Hope to see you all again.

Joanna Burtt

Rachel Carns said...

I really enjoy your blog a lot!
Hope you pick me because I like Starbucks Coffee. My parents always buy Starbucks bagged coffee, so whenever I taste another brand of coffee, I think it tastes different.

Rachel Carns

Anonymous said...

you take amazing pictures!!!
i love looking thru them=)
Kirsten Peterson

Anonymous said...

I have so enjoyed looking at your blog! It helps us stay connected with all of you and your wonderful family. I would love to win that delicious coffee! The picture looks good enough to eat!!! Love, Aunt Liz

Anonymous said...

"A Stabucks Card!!! AWESOME!
I LOVE coffee!!...No, really, I do.
Nice Bog Jack. I love the pics and comments. (Go Big Ten!!....sorry, it's 'March Madness' Right?)


-Roger D. Young

Anonymous said...

I love coffee!!!!!

-James Young

Anonymous said...

Your family's blog is awesome! We love staying updated on the latest McDonnell happenings.

Great incentive for gaining feedback!

So do you have an amount of comments you want to receive before choosing the lucky winner? Last time you did something like this, if I remember right, you got over 100 comments! We'll see if you can beat last years record. :)
~Anna W.

Unknown said...

Thank you all for the well wishes and kind words.

No, we are not going for a certain number of comments...we just wanted to see who all is out there. The gift card is just a fun way to say thank you.

We may make 100 comments though...the drawing will be two weeks from the original post.

Unknown said...

We just reached 50 people to enter for the drawing...that means you all have a 1 in 50 chance of winning!

Thackers said...

ha-ha Jack
amanda

Karen said...

WE love contests and we love starbucks!!! Thanks McDonells!!

Unknown said...

Hey I heard something about a contest for free starbucks in between changing a diaper and telling Ethan not to flush mommies cell phone. If this is true please have mercy on me, caffiene is like a couple extra hours of sleep if you know what I mean.

Unknown said...

Never tried a Starbucks in my life but wouldn't it be funny if I won! :)

Chloe Sikma said...

I like your blog!

Lauren said...

What a fun (and delicious) idea!
I enjoy looking at your family's blog!

Josh said...

Looks like the Hicks have a 1 in 5 chance of winning the contest.
Josh W.

Unknown said...

Hilarious Jud...I can only imagine the scene too well. Gotta love family life! :o)

Brian S. said...

Great blog McD family! Keep up the good work. Blogs are a great way to stay in touch and I've enjoyed reading yours over the past few years!

Benjamin Sikma said...

Nice blog, great posts! I enjoy looking at it every so often!

Jonathan Sikma said...

Um...ahh...let's see here. I like coffee and I'd like to win!

Deneen Sikma said...

I love your family and I always watch your blog. I have made it a point to not comment on anyone's blog unless some were to feel left out, however, for the possibility of Starbucks hot chocolate, I will leave a comment!

God bless your family!

Anna Joy said...

Yay for starbucks!!

Happy anniversary/birthday!

wade45 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wade45 said...

Comment. ;)

Unknown said...

This is my comment: Make SURE I WIN!!

Eli Delos said...

Hey guys lets go for 100 comments!
If you have already commented you will only be enter'd once but that doesn't mean you can't comment only once everybody get involved!
And if you haven't commented yet GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!!

Rebecca said...

I like the pictures and the blog!

And I will stop being a lurker and leave a comment for a chance to win a Starbucks gift card. Thanks for the giveaway!

Rebecca Gaus

Thackers said...

ok

Thackers said...

here

Thackers said...

are

Thackers said...

some

Thackers said...

more

Thackers said...

you

Thackers said...

know

Thackers said...

could

Thackers said...

keep

Thackers said...

going

Thackers said...

but

Thackers said...

that's

Thackers said...

ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Thackers said...

O I just did 100

Thackers said...

OOPS : O

Elaine McD. said...

I am loving reading this, Jack.
Judson's comment makes me smile.
Ah, young parenthood -- wait a minute, I'm STILL in parenthood with little ones and I'm not so young anymore...talk to you later.
Someone just put a toy in the toilet!
I'm with ya, Jud, I'm with ya!

Mom said...

You guys are SO creative! Your family has been such a blessing and an encouragement. I love your blog and getting to know you all. The Lord bless you. Mrs. Reed

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Lindsay i umm like your blog
hope i win!!!!!!!:):):):):):)

lindsay hoffman

Psalm 127:3-5